• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Stress making me eat more

drugfukkdrockstar

Bluelight Crew
I have found this, that since i don't party as much as i used to and tend to live a more normal life of working full time, paying a mortgage and bills etc, that when i get stressed i tend to want to just eat and eat and eat.

I have been on a very healthy streak as of late and managed to get some kilos off, but late last week and over the weekend i have been faced with a fair bit of stress with fighting with my mother and her and i deciding we're not gonna speak anymore, all due to the fact she is wanting to control my wedding that i am planning etc. She is just being her usual dominating self, and with already being a little on edge because i am planning my wedding i exploded and now we're not speaking.

So since this has happened, my healthy eating routine has just gone out the window. It's like all of a sudden i just don't care, because i am needing to comfort eat :(

It's worrying me because i can't afford to go putting on any weight because i fit perfectly into my wedding dress :(

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips with how to cope with comfort eating? I know i will find it easier now that i am back to work for the week as of tomorrow, so will be too busy to be stuffing my face like i have all weekend, but i am frightened that what if i just keep on craving food? I can't blame my period either because i had that last week, and it's finished now.

Help :( I know it's a mind over matter thing, of which i seem to be good at now days, but now being more on the miserable side because of my crazy mother i am feeling a bit mentally exhausted and vulnerable to food.

Convert what you find to be a comfort food. There are plenty of healthy options to pacify your cravings with. Just think of how much better you'll feel eating a healthy alternative!

Now stuffing yourself with carrots and celery sticks isn't what I mean. Go ahead and bake yourself some whole wheat, oatmeal (dark) chocolate cookies with less sugar than the recipe calls for. These are more: -nutritious -filling -delicious than standard white flour, high sugar chocolate chip cookies.

Instead of mind over matter, I find it is much easier to emphasize eating healthy options. Instead of not comfort eating, just eat healthy stuff, exercise and instead of gaining weigh, you'll feel great and probably not notice any significant waist size increase.

Examples of healthy comfort food:

- Spiced cinnamon oatmeal with blueberries, cranberries and raisins: spiced with nutmeg, allspice, cloves and lots of cinnamon. All the spices add nutrients, and the berries kick it up a notch. Of antioxidants that is

- Banana chocolate bread: use whole wheat recipe, lots of banana (less water), less sugar and dark chocolate. Throw in some walnuts (or your favorite nut). The resulting bread would hardly even be considered junk food, but so damn delicious.

My point is, processed high sugar, preserved and white flour products are shite. Opt for healthiness and you won't regret it. Say no to the cheeto!

:)

If your craving alot of food but dont want to gain weight I would try to stay away from all carbs as much as I could and stick to high protein stuff like seafood treats and jerky. Drinking alot of water even if your not thirsty can help with feelings of satiety. High fibre foods might be a good idea aswell.

Assembled, you can still gain weight eating healthy food if you eat more calories then you burn. Its not as likely but you still have to be carefull and watch the intake. And banana chocolate bread to someone worried about gaining weight? Come on buddy, come on now :)

Do not keep crap food in the house. Period. Eat/buy the good stuff.
I eat too much when I am stressed. Eat...don't worry about the perfect bullshit for one day in your life. Continue to exercise...great stress buster you know that! You will fit in your wedding dress unless you become a effin couch potato eating fried foods and sweets :)

Eating a big bowl of high fiber cereal is so much better for you than a bag of chips.
Eating a pint of sorbet is better than ice cream.
Eating a BBQ chicken breast is better than a cheeseburger.

Don't feel guilty about what you are doing. Let that go. Stop creating more stress by making this an issue.

It's okay. It will be okay. You are okay..........ohm

Hey dfrs, sorry to hear about your stress and family/wedding-planning issues! If it's any consolation from your recent photos of you and you man at rainbowserpent you're looking great at the moment :)

Regarding comfort eating the comments above are great. Avoid carbs (esp anything highly processed like white bread, pasta, rice, or anything high in sugar - including juice), eat more protein & fibre, eat slower and really concentrate on/be mindful of what you're eating, drink lots of water.... (if you can stand the taste adding some psyllium husk fibre to a glass of water fills you up quite a lot).

.... and most importantly find something else to occupy your mind with. Maybe rather eating anything quick and convenient cook something that's really difficult, involved, nutritious, and takes ages to cook?

As P.I. said guilt is one of your enemies here. One thing you shouldn't do is try to make up for a little over-eating by starving yourself either. Keep eating small quantities of healthy food consitantly throughout the day if you can, even if it's snacking on a few nuts or something?

Thank you for the fantastic advice guys, it is very much appreciated. I shall refer back to this thread in my times of need. <3

I am in full agreement with not having any bad food in the house whatsoever... but unfortunately i came home from work and my fiance has bought chocolates, and ice cream :( bloody hell!

You should be more concerned for your health that how you look in a dress that you'll (hopefully) wear once.

If that isn't enough to motivate you to stay healthy, what can we say to persuade you otherwise?

Take 6g of heavy-metal-free Omega 3 fish oil a day. It has mood stabilizing and anti-stress properties.

That and the dietary changes other people have mentioned.

Ditto on not having instant food in the house. I gain about a pound a day or something at my boyfriend's, where their fridge is stocked with chocolates, bread, jam, etc. I never assume they'll add up, but damn, sometimes I feel colossal when I leave his place!

Versus at home, I have to make my own snacks (baking cookies usually if I want em), and we don't keep leftovers (everything goes to the chicken and dogs and compost), so I have to make the effort to snack. It helps.

Try eating things like nuts that keep you feeling fuller than white, starchy things. But sometimes the anxiety really makes your appetite, go, so I hope things sort out with your ma, just try to remember she is anxious at this time as well. And PI is right. Just exercise it off, then head to a good restaurant afterwards, or cook yourself a good meal!

yeah, i agree w/ those who said exercise off the extra calories. and ask your fiance to leave the ice cream, etc at the store.
-izzy

You should be more concerned for your health that how you look in a dress that you'll (hopefully) wear once.

If that isn't enough to motivate you to stay healthy, what can we say to persuade you otherwise?

The thing is i am actually a healthy person :) I have always eaten well and done some sort of exercise. I am being harder on myself at the moment because i am getting married, as most women do at this time of their lives. So yeah looking great on my wedding day is what's driving me to being extra strict with how i eat.

There are no questions about whether i will maintain my healthy state afterward as well, because that's a given.

OP, if you like granola bar kinda things, try "fiber one" bars. they are soft n chewy not hard as a rock, have a lot of fiber so they fill you up, and they taste really yummy, way better than i expected. i originally tried them when looking for ways to increase fiber in my diet.
lol, i'm gonna need to start charging the manufacturer cuz i've recommended them so many times.
anyway, for a sweet munchie, they're great and not total junk food. give em a try.
-izzy

carry a poptop bottle of water spiked with lemon juice around with you and every time you get the urge to comfort eat; aim to drink around 250mls first, wait 15 minutes and see if the moment passes. warm cups of tea (peppermint is great for stress) are also a great distraction and help with the "warm tea belly"/comfort feeling.

It's all good, it appears the food i binged on didn't effect me at all as no weight was gained, so maybe i don't need to be as hard on myself :) I have been back to eating well all week again.

Xeno, i like drinking lemon tea's so i will give that a try! Lemon's are great for boosting the metabolism indeed and i never thought to put some in my water. Cheers!

Take up smoking.
Just kidding!

Try eating slower when you find yourself submitting to cravings, you'll get satisfied but not eat as much.

You should also try making yourself a fruit smoothie whenever you get one of those cravings.
They're tasty, good for you, and they'll fill you up.